Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Engineering Manager II - Materials & Processes (664349) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Engineering Manager II – Materials & Processes
Lead the Materials & Processes (M&P;) organization within Engineering with functional responsibilities to meet program commitments over all phases of the program lifecycle. This position reports to the Director of Engineering Solutions.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the M&P; organization. Responsible for budget planning, personnel management and execution of M&P; support through the full program lifecycle.
- Responsible for overall M&P; performance to meet cost, schedule and technical objectives and successful M&P; execution on all Strategic Business Unit (SBU) efforts.
- Maintain a close partnership with activities in other Engineering organizations, particularly in Electrical Solutions and Mechanical Solutions, to support execution to cost objectives.
- Direct development of M&P; solutions in response to customer needs, and support SBU capture plans and strategies, pursuit and proposal activities, and customer relationships. Influence technology and associated integration roadmap.
- Identify and develop technology that supports customer solutions and maintains an innovation edge and cost advantage in the market-place.
- Anticipate and ensure talent and skill mix of the group are in sync with the needs of programs and new business development organizations.
- Functionally manage all planning, design, development, test and technician disciplines and expertise for all engineers and technicians who support space, air, and ground applications. Support candidate hiring selection process, assign appropriate staff to programs, conduct performance assessments and personnel actions, support salary reviews, recognition programs, ensure group has the appropriate processes in place to meet needs of programs and compliance with approved standards.
- Ensure engineers are appropriately trained to meet needs of programs as well as employee career goals.
- Develop and improve engineering processes; support Engineering Process Improvement goals, execute process corrective actions and Failure Review Boards as required; support internal and external audits, ensure compliance with ISO standards.
- Build, lead and mentor team of engineers and technicians on rapid prototyping, process control, technology implementation, material or process selection, characterization, documentation, validation, and monitoring addressing needs of multiple programs and business units.
- On as needed basis lead technical oriented teams to resolve critical business, programmatic, or technical issues.
- Collaborate with peers in cross-functional engineering disciplines or cross-business to ensure successful integration or scale-up of materials or processes.
- Maintain knowledge of latest developments and how they can be applied to our businesses.
- Manage the materials and process laboratories located and supporting multiple campuses. This includes but is not limited to mechanical testing, chemical and physical analyses, material characterization, material property or process performance verification, and failure analysis methodology for a lab. Demonstrated knowledge of purpose of each test, how it is applied, and ability to effectively communicate the results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ensure that all business is conducted with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as well as company policies and directives.
- Represent Engineering with customers and at industry and government conferences.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship within Engineering, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree in Materials Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or a related technical field with appropriate M&P; focus, plus 12 or more years of related experience, is required.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Self -starter, excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal, ability to work independently and with a team.
- Relevant work experience with materials and process program life cycle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applied materials and process quality principles covering environments from sub-oceanic to interplanetary space, addressing capabilities of materials and process from cryogenic through high refractory temperatures, and associated considerations needed at frequencies from DC through RF up to X-ray.
- Ability to operate at the system level and interface to all engineering disciplines and organizations.
- Operational ability to apply and communicate to multiple audiences, data provided by surface, instrumental, chemical, or physical test equipment.
- Experience in supporting supplier liaison efforts including supplier technical issue resolution.
- Prior experience working in and with controlled, classified security environments is highly desirable.
- Working understanding of statistical principles as applied in scenarios from design development, to failure resolution, process monitoring and associated testing.
- Ability to function in a highly dynamic, technically diverse, environment spanning low mix low volume to high mix mid-volume development and production environments.
- Must have demonstrated excellent leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments.
- Influencing, communication and team skills will be critical to successful execution of the duties of the position.
- Experience operating within classified program environments.
- Proven track record in management of materials and processes design, development, production, mission assurance, supplier liaison tasks as a lead.
- Current Top Secret security clearance preferred – must be able to obtain and maintain.
- Work is performed in an office environment
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Engineering Manager II - Materials & Processes (664349)
Job ID: 664349
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time